Sunday, March 30, 2014

Evaluating 23 Mobile Things (the end!)

  • Go back to your thoughts/ideas about  mobile devices and apps. Has anything changed as a result of this experience?  I would say the #1 thing that changed for me was my view of mobile devices not just as a personal tool, but as a tool that could be used professionally as well.  As librarians, we often limit ourselves to recommending or suggesting resources we own or license in our own collection.  Who's to say we can't recommend the Audiobooks app for our patrons clamoring for classic audiobooks in our Digital Library?  Or the SignNow app for patrons who don't want to pay for our fax service?  It goes back to my first post about building connections.  Librarians using apps or recommending apps for patrons may be nontraditional connections, but they work! 
  • What were your favorite Things and discoveries? So tough to choose!  I loved the hobbies app, because it made me take the time to use an app I've been meaning to use forever.  Fooducate was one of my favorite personal discoveries that I've incorporated into my every day routine.  Professionally?  Thank goodness for discovering HootSuite and Pinterest!  I also enjoyed documents, video, and presentations.  Overall, Libraries & Reference was probably my favorite Thing, because I got to share some of my thoughts on apps I am pretty proficient in, as well as learn info I was able to apply to my work the next day. Plus, fingers crossed for AskMN....
  • How did you connect with others doing the 23 Mobile Things? I loved following the blogs of people I know, as well as discovering new ideas and friends via Twitter.  Oftentimes when I was stuck on a specific Thing, I would troll others' blogs for inspiration.  
  • Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?  I didn't expect how much I would make connections between the apps I was discovering and how to use them professionally.  Or the trickle down effect it would have on my creativity.  An app got me thinking about presentations, which got me thinking about creating a new class, etc.  I also didn't expect how much I would look forward to this program.  I started out with the goal of one app/week for the duration of the program.  I thought I would look at it as more homework than I did, and would need that checklist to keep myself on track.  And here I am, WAY ahead of schedule.  I was having too much fun...or too many snowdays, or both!
  • What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or content? Seriously, the only thing I would say is limit choices so I don't have to make decisions! :)
  • If we offered a another 23 Things program like this in the future would you participate? Yes, yes, yes! 
  • How would you describe your learning experience in one word or in one sentence, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities to others? Refreshing!  This program definitely freshened up my attitude towards work, my outlook on ways libraries can be involved, ideas for programs and connecting, what qualifies as resources, and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment