Sunday, March 9, 2014

Audio (Thing #16)

Audioboo
Recording a boo on Audioboo is simple; click on record.  You can pause as many times as you need to within the 3:00 minute recording window.  Then, you can save the draft boo or publish it.  I found it weird that Audioboo put a random name in for my boo every time I recorded; the first one was "Sunnyboo."  Of course I had the option to edit it, but why wouldn't the app just leave it blank for me to change?  Once you click on publish, you can also add one picture as a background to your boo, describe your boo, and select a boo category, such as business, celebrities, etc.  Then you can save and upload your boo to Audioboo.  Once published, the boo is easy to share via email or social networks.  It's also easy to delete a boo, like the test boo I created.

Finding content via Audioboo is much less fun fun.  Perhaps is you know someone is using Audioboo you could follow them, but searching or browsing resulted in less than desirable results.

ipadio
I don't see myself ever making an audio recording via phone.  Recording via audio is simple, as is editing the  clip, adding images, title, summary, and tags.  What I don't understand is why it defaults to geo-locating your device and including that as part of the phonecast info, if other users can't find my content via location.

It is also easy to upload, though you do have to go to the website version if ipadio to share your content via link.  I also appreciate that you can make your broadcasts private, though that setting also is not easy to find.  You can access your uploaded broadcasts on the app at a later time, just not share them.  The ipadio app also does not have the ability to browse or search for other content, though the website does.

The online world seems to think ipadio is preferable to Audioboo.  I disagree.  But really, why use either when there's a better alternative to both?  The better alternative is what I discovered in SoundCloud.

SoundCloud
SoundCloud has all of the benefits of Audioboo and ipadio and none of the negatives.  It really is a "huge social sound platform," with content from news outlets, comedians, musicians and more.  Many of the podcasts I listen to are available on SoundCloud, all in one place.  Rather than having to remember to go to the podcast website, all I have to do is follow the stream on SoundCloud and the feed will update when new episodes are released.  It is also easy to search and browse for new content, as well as create playlists.

Most of the libraries I found on SoundCloud were music libraries, understandably so.

SoundCloud is also extremely easy to record audio of your own, to edit and add an image, to make public or private, and to share your published audio.

Audio in libraries.  I can see this being implemented in a teen Summer Reading Program, where teens submit book talks on SoundCloud and share the link with the library as an entry into teen drawings.  SoundCloud could also be used to create a podcast for employees, to share updates or need to know information.  We could do a quick interview with an upcoming artist or author to promote their Legacy program.  Another possibility is for instructions or tutorials, but I don't know that audio alone is as effective as having a video or visual element.  Interviewing staff for historical record would be great as well.  I don't know that these are realistic in the immediate future, but they are nice to brainstorm, especially knowing that you have a solid app in SoundCloud just waiting to be used! 

No comments:

Post a Comment